[lit-ideas] Trembling presidents...

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 18:23:37 -0400

Too bad we don't have such any more.

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."   Thomas Jefferson

"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me
to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned
and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the
country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of
the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is
destroyed. I feel at this moment more anxiety for the safety of my country than
ever before, even in the midst of war. God grant that my suspicions may prove
groundless." -- U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864 - (letter to Col.
William F. Elkins) Ref: The Lincoln Encyclopedia, Archer H. Shaw (Macmillan,
1950, NY)