[lit-ideas] Travels with Geary

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 03:58:36 -0400

Mike: And I do mean for Christ's sake -- really, especially if you're a Christian. I'm not, but I still agree with Christ quite often.

Cannonball along to a literary question -- what's the difference between Satan and a Christian?

*A Christian believes in God?
*No. Satan believes in God; in fact, Satan worked as his DA on the JOB case. Satan knows God.

*A Christian believes that Jesus of Nazareth was the son of God, died for human sins, and became the Risen Christ. *No. Satan knows all that. Hence his temptations in the wilderness, admonitions to cast yourself down, etc.

*A Christian believes that his belief in Christ will secure his immortal soul. *No. Satan knows that. Hence all the Gerasa demoniacs and timeless screwtaping, lurking, and sinister mucking about.

Time to fork it over. I'll give it up! The difference between Satan and a Christian is love. Satan cannot love.

You are obviously having trouble loving Steinbeck because of political conclusions he reached. Should you therefore not be loved, Mr. Geary, by those who think your attachment to Obama fetishistic and naive?

I think you are worthy of love, just like Steinbeck is ... and I'm not even very good at loving.

Yours till the rending of the rocks,
Shem the Penman