[lit-ideas] Re: Travel instead of war...(was something less cheerful)

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 19:29:00 +0100 (BST)

--- Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We always walk everywhere.
  In Prague (we
> visited many times
> in all seasons as our son lived there for a few
> years (also Ljublijana
> and then Vilnius), I used to get up early and catch
> the first tram that
> arrived and just take it to the end of the line and
> see what was there.

Those trams were good, I hope they're still running.
The only other city I know around there -- as it were;
I went before Czechoslovakia broke up -- is
Bratislava.  I liked it a lot, but I read it's now
home to drunken British tourists.

> As to the waxed paper, yes, I'm harking back to our
> first visit to
> England in 1975.

There must be some still around!

> went into town.  There happened to be a festival and
> carnival going on
> and the old town was alight with food and games and
> rides and dancing
> and drinking.

Ah yes. I've thought of going there at festival time.
When I was there it was basically rather boring but I
think that's because it was a day-trip and I was
subjected to historical tours and didn't really see
the actual town. My vaguely magical experiences were
in Les Saintes Maries de La Mer (the gypsies were
there) and in Arles (because of the amazing Provencal
light).

Judy Evans, Cardiff

Try the all-new Yahoo! Mail. "The New Version is radically easier to use" ? The
Wall Street Journal
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html