[lit-ideas] Travel Suggestions??

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 18:01:06 -0500

This is a genuine request for ideas.
I've been asked to teach for "Semester at Sea" for the Spring 2008 voyage. I'll be teaching three philosophy classes aboard ship. The itinerary of the trip is: Bahamas; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Salvador, Brazil; Cape Town, South Africa; Port Louis, Mauritius; Chennai, India; Penang, Malaysia; Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam; Hong Kong; Shanghai, China; Kobe, Japan; Honolulu, Hawaii; Puntarenas, Costa Rica; and then back to Miami, Florida. That works out to 45 days at sea and 55 days in port. Some of the port stops are already planned, but I'm always looking for more things to do.

Of course this is an impossible itinerary to actually learn significant things about so many places, but many of you have been to some (or most?) of these destinations. What I'd like is some kind of "Don't miss this" kind of response. Not the "World's Tallest Building" kind of things, but the things that you think give some real marker of the local character or are of real significance. So: From the itinerary above, what do you think I should include on my very limited time "Don't Miss" list?

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager                john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                  Lisle, IL, USA