[lit-ideas] Re: Translation Problem

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Julie Krueger <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 13:07:08 -0230

Interesting. Young people's disregard of correct grammar may generalize to a
disregard for other normative expectations, including moral requirements.
"Normative" refers to the possibility of right and wrong, and thus of being
mistaken. But if young people today are unaware of a grammatical distinction
between "what is correct" and "what seems correct to me" or "who cares what is
deemed to be 'correct'" then their conception of the "normative" is already
askew at the git-go. We would then not expect them to understand at the
meta-cognitive level that, like you know,  there are certain imperatives that
are categorical for all rationally autonomous agents.

George W put it quite succinctly: "The central educational question is whether
our children is learning in the schools."

Walter O

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2011.php