[lit-ideas] Re: Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus

  • From: adriano paolo shaul gershom palma <palmaadriano@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 20:14:07 +0200

SPERANZA  cut the number of joints per day

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 8:12 PM, <Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> The very title, as translated
>
> Traduttore, traditori
>
> In a message dated 2/17/2013 10:48:34 A.M. UTC-02,
> donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx notes that there is a difference between
> Russell's  suggestion,
>
> "Philosophical Logic"
>
> and
>
> Moore's suggestion, "A Treatise on Philosophical Logic".
>
> McEvoy suggests a book, mutatis mutandis, called
>
> "God"
>
> gives the implicature (only implicature, never logical implication or
> entailment) that the author believes that "God" is not a vacuous name (vide
> Grice, "Vacuous Names").
>
> On the other hand, this implicature, McEvoy goes on, is cancelled by the
> prefacing with
>
> "A Treatise on God".
>
> ---
>
> McEvoy's words: -- we are referring to
>
> "a title that is a "Treatise" or Tractatus on them."
>
> "For his "Treatise" suggests we cannot say anything about these fields,
> though we can show or exhibit what is "the truth" as to them: and so to
> refer
> to  "Philosophical Logic" simpliciter "is wrong" as it wrongly suggests we
> can say  something about "Philosophical logic" - whereas, because of the
> "limits of  language", we can only offer a treatise on that subject-matter
> that
> shows the  character of that subject-matter but without saying anything
> about it."
>
> Still, to press the analogy. I would go back to Spinoza
>
> Tractatus theologico-politicus
>
> A Treatise  on Theology and Politics
>
> The implicature seems to be that such things exist. For the opposite
> implicature surely there are prepositions available in the rich Latin
>  language:
>
> Tractatus AGAINST Theological Politics
>
> say.
>
> What bothers me slightly is that Witters can think he CAN say that he knows
>  what the 'ideal' is (for he thinks that "TLP" ain't it), and has a hoard
> of  British brilliant men:
>
> Ogden
> Lord Russell
> Prof. Moore
>
> to think for a diggestible way for British readers to make of this booklet
> he published in 1921 in some obscure publishing house with the pretty
> rudimentary title
>
> "Logisch-Philosophische Abhandlung".
>
> For those of us who know German, we should notice the distinction  between
>
> "Logisch"
>
> and
>
> "Philosophische"
>
> i.e. the fact that "Logisch" pre-affixes to "Philosophische" amounts to the
>  drop of the 'e' (it would be "Logische").
>
> This construction possibly gave Moore the bell-ringing. It started to ring
> a bell with Moore, and compared the
>
> "Logische-philosophische"
>
> with the
>
> "theologico-politicus"
>
> of Spinoza -- and the rest is history.

> [...]

palma, KZN

*יד*  וַיַּעַן עָמוֹס, וַיֹּאמֶר אֶל-אֲמַצְיָה, לֹא-נָבִיא אָנֹכִי, וְלֹא
בֶן-נָבִיא אָנֹכִי:  כִּי-בוֹקֵר אָנֹכִי, וּבוֹלֵס שִׁקְמִים.

 palma

University of KwaZulu-Natal

Howard College Campus, philosophy department

Durban 4041 South Africa

Tel off: [+27] 03 12 60 15 91 Fax [+27] 03 12 60 30 31

admn Y. Hordyk : [+27] 03 12 60 22 92

mobile 07 62 36 23 91 from abroad +[27] 76 23 62 391

EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxxxx

palma's office 280 (3rd flr of Mtb)

from 2o13\o1  p212 on cognition p308 on rigidity p102 intrPHIL

 - check venues&schedule at administrator office  TBA

 *only when in Europe*:

inst. J. Nicod

29 rue d'Ulm

f-75005 paris france