[lit-ideas] Re: Tractatus

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 19:18:59 -0800

JL wrote

So, the question would be, disregarding the German 'abhandlung', whether
what Wittgenstein is doing is 'handling' "logico-philosophical questions". I
provided the etymologies for 'tractatus' (from verb "tracto") which while
not  literally referring to the 'hand' (as the "abhandlung" does), it
provides for an  interesting semantic field.

He's already said he isn't. See my last post on what he says re 'philosophical logic,' and the naming of this book of his. 'Abhandlung'
means treatise ('essay,' etc.)

So the immediate, transparent, meaning, is that Wittgenstein is posing
himself as an authority who self-claims some knowledge which is sufficient to
label his thing with the grandiose "Middle Latin" name of "tractatus" (or
treatise) on a subject which he has a few doubts (implicature: QUITE a few:
many) about!

I have no idea what this means. Here again is Wittgenstein's comment on the suitability of one name over another.

'For although TLP isn't _ideal_ still it has something like the right meaning, wheras 'Philosophical logic' is wrong. In fact I don't know what it means! There is no such thing as philosophical logic. (Unless one says that as a whole the book is nonsense the title might as well be nonsense to.'

Robert Paul,
tangled a logico-epistolary briar patch