[lit-ideas] Re: Top 100 Public Intellectuals...

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 00:07:27 +0100

Wednesday, October 26, 2005, 9:10:14 PM, Eric Yost wrote:

EY> His attack on Amis
EY> on Stalin was terrific.

EY> Yes it was. Plus he {horrors!} smokes as well as drinks.

it's his being drunk on Newsnight that's irritating.  This is all I
can find about the programme:

>Last night?s Newsnight had Bonnie Greer and Christopher Hitchens
>discussing the hurricane disaster.

(cut)
> Either Hitchens has lately spent too much time i? the sun or
>he?s getting through several bottles of Jack Daniels a day.
>He looked exactly like those homeless bearded alcoholics you
>sometimes see in town centres, clutching a can of Carlsberg and
>spitting obscenities and incoherent mutterings at passers-by.
>Which when you think about is pretty much the Hitchens style
>these days (if you were on holiday in August you may have missed this).

(he also slurred his words)

>Bonnie Greer only had one point to make.

note: the speakers aren't supposed to cover the whole ground)

>The scenes of abandoned
>poor black citizens would re-open ?the psychic wound? between black
>and white in America. At one point, in pursuit of her thesis, she
>even said that ?it?s not what?s happening now that?s important?.
>Hungry, thirsty people surrounded by shit and corpses might
>disagree. For Greer, everything can be reduced to race, not class.

>As for Hitchens. He suggested that a lot of the blacks in New
>Orleans weren?t really Americans at all. He seemed to be implying
>that they were illegal immigrants, and that their presence in
>New Orleans is a marvellous testament to the pull of the American
>dream. There seemed to be a malodorous sub-text to those remarks,
> sloshing around like sewage in a cellar.

>The only time these two great sages of our time clashed

(because Greer couldn't be bothered to take on a drunken Hitch)

>was when Greer suggested that the O J Simpson verdict was proof
>of her psychic wound thesis. Hitchens, misunderstanding her,
>barked that he had never met anyone who didn?t think that O J
>Simpson was guilty of murdering his wife. Greer?s point was that
>the black jurors found him not guilty as a two-fingered gesture
>to the racism and injustice of the US judicial system.

http://ellissharp.blogspot.com/2005_09_01_ellissharp_archive.html

-- I don't know anything about this blogger; this was the second
Google hit, this is the first (for those who can read Czech)

http://www.blisty.cz/2005/9/2/art24807.html

--
Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK

                           mailto:judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx