[lit-ideas] Re: Too painful to talk about?

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 09:35:46 -0800

Irene, you say the military should be criticized for wrong doing, but you
haven't produced any wrong doing.  If the action you condemn isn't normative
for the military, and if the military punishes such action, then the
military is not guilty of wrong doing.  You cannot apply a synecdoche here
and assert that the criminal action of a few soldiers, which may be
normative for them, is normative to the entire military force.  The fact
that these soldiers, were they American, would have violated the Code of
Military Justice, proves (as long as the Code is enforced, which it is) that
such action is not normative.  Your criticisms, therefore, should be applied
to the individual soldiers guilty of crimes and not to the entire military.

You make another bold logical step when you write, "You say that "by that
standard, however, the USSR had a wonderful government, since on the books
their constitution guaranteed all sorts of wonderful things."   I do not see
how you get from a Code of Military Justice to an entire constitution.   I
argued that you can not blame the military for a criminal act of one of its
soldiers if the military has declared such an act illegal and punishable,
and in fact does punish it.  If you were to argue that the USSR had an
equivalent Code of Military Justice that covered the crimes under discussion
and also punished them, then I would say the same thing about the USSR Code
of Military Justice (insofar as it dealt with the crimes under discussion).
But I fail to see how this has anything to say about the USSR's
constitution.

We should be talking about the Islamists and the behavior they deem
normative, e.g., bombing moms/dads/children.   How can we tolerate the
Islamists when their normative behavior is anathema to us?  Though the
Guardian writer (Kiku Day living in London) is appalled that the Danes are
appalled at Islamist behavior, how can he (and you, Irene) not be appalled
when Islamists (and Islamist sympathizers) blow up buildings and murder
people because they are offended at cartoons?  The Guardian writer wants the
Danes to become more tolerant.  I am relieved to see the Danes are
abandoning the belief that Islamists and liberal Europeans can live together
in a multicultural environment without conflict.  Either the Islamist
Muslims are going to have to be absorbed into Danish Society and Culture, at
least to the point of accepting pluralism as normative.  Or the Danes are
going to have to be absorbed into Islamist Society and Culture.

I have read several articles wherein the writers predict that Western Europe
will one day be predominantly Islamic.  The writers assume that the
Europeans won't be able to stand up to Islamic pressures.  Are the Danes an
exception to that, or is there something else at work here?

Lawrence

  _____