[lit-ideas] Re: Tony Wilson: Dead but not forgotten/This Is The Story of Johnny Rotten

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 20:30:11 +0100 (BST)

For one view on this perhaps important figure, particularly for his role as a
cultural catalyst:-

http://music.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2147134,00.html

For Joy Division's first two albums alone he will have a permanent, if
peripheral, place in musical history: in fact, there's a movie about the
whole scene '24 Hour Party People' [I haven't yet seen it].

Donal

Btw: do many 'get' the allusion in the thread title? Too few perhaps (it's a
multiple allusion actually - the kind Tony Wilson seemed to like - taking in
Neil Young's 'Rust Never Sleeps' which was cited in Kurt Cobain's
'I'm-joining-that-stupid-mom' last note, who was deeply influenced by Joy
Division and the self-hanging Ian Curtis, which band was arguably brought to
light through Wilson's endeavours (and taste)....And so it
goes............Not btw parading through allusion my knowledge (as of, say,
Heidegger) so much as paying tribute and also curious what knowledge there is
on the list of what is perceived by some as important in contemporary
culture, which includes punk - as Neil Young recognised in 'Rust Never
Sleeps'. Basta.

now.
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/