[lit-ideas] Re: Tom Thumb runs from office

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:58:05 -0600

LH:
Instead we have a series of elected
officials, members of the Executive and Legislative branches of government
who decide when it is appropriate to go to war.

Sorry, but I won't turn my conscience over to anyone.

I've been reading about nations going to war.  So far I haven't found a
single one which wanted to go to war because it seemed fun.

Fun???? I never said anything about war being fun. That's your own demon you're fighting there, Lawrence. Maybe some psychoanalysis will help.

We let Al Quaeda, Hezbollah and
other Islamist groups "dishonor" us so many times that they decided we
weren't to be respected as a military force.  They kept upping their
disrespecting ante until they got our attention; which meant much more work
for us than if we had presented a more Warlike stance to them earlier on -
something you would call Warmongering and I would call prudence.

You're right.  I do call this warmongering.

Prudent
warlike stances prior to World Wars One and Two could have prevented them,
but we didn't know how to do that back then.

Yes, we've heard this crap for forty thousand years. Now it's time we tried "to get along" -- or rather institute international agencies that will work to diminish all nationalisms, promote economic justice and respect and forebearance and generally put into practice the Christian principles of love as held by your Presbyterian faith.

 too many red-faced pouters sitting in too many corners
sucking on too many plumbs, and pulling out too many trite phrases like
"warmonger," and lisping, "oh what a good boy am I."

I'm always surprised when not wanting to kill people is dismissed as "goody-goody". Oh well, the world's going to be what the world's going to be. I can go along or go alone.

Mike Geary
Memphis