[lit-ideas] Re: Today's situation with food

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 20:22:51 -0700 (PDT)

I recently heard a discussion with pro-nuclear power types who claim it's not
dangerous.&nbsp; They made a pretty good case.&nbsp; The problem from what I
could tell is that we don't really have&nbsp;much choice.&nbsp; Natural gas
powers a lot of our electricity (oil is mostly transportation, agriculture,
plastics and the like) and natural gas is going the way of oil which is to say,
it's a finite resource, running down.&nbsp;&nbsp;Water is running down too, so
states that use hydroelectric power may start to see declines in the not too
distant future.&nbsp; Biofuel is a waste, literally.&nbsp;
&nbsp;
The problem with nuclear power plants is that they take about 10 years to come
on line, and they take oil to build, so we need to get started on them pretty
quick, and of course where to bury the rods (some can be recycled I
think).&nbsp; Unfortunately, we need so many power plants that there's only
enough uranium for about 20 years if enough plants were to be built to power
everything.&nbsp;
&nbsp;
The real answer is conservation, lots of conservation, plus wind and solar
farms out in the desert.&nbsp; Also conserving water big time and transporting
goods by rail and water instead of truck.&nbsp; I heard/read that Algeria I
think is coming up with solar farms, these huge magnified mirror type
things,&nbsp;such that they may be able to power Europe.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;We're
not even beginning to think about anything at all.&nbsp;
&nbsp;