[lit-ideas] Re: Today's Geburtstagskind [birthday child]

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 13:12:14 +0100

On 10-Dec-08, at 10:07 PM, Eric Yost wrote:

Tashi does a good version of the Quartet for the End of Time. I wonder what happened to Peter Serkin.

My first exposure to this quartet was via an Erato LP some 30 years ago (left behind in 1994; I can't recall who performs on it). I am as I write listening to Christopher Eschenbach [piano] with the Houston Symphony Chamber Players.

For a discussion of several recordings of the work (including both the 'Serkin' and 'Eschenbach'), see:

http://www.weta.org/fmblog/?p=440

Perhaps the only piece of 20th century chamber music that comes close to moving me as much as Olivier Messiaen's 'Quatuor pour la fin du temps' is George Crumb's 'Black Angels: Thirteen Images from the Dark Land'. (I have the Kronos Quartet recording on the 'Black Angels' Elektra Nonesuch CD).

Of course, in listening to Messiaen's quartet, I cannot help but think of the conditions under which it was composed:

        In May 1940 he was captured ... and ... imprisoned
        at prison camp Stalag VIII-A [where he] ... encountered
        a violinist, a cellist, and a clarinettist ... . Initially he
        wrote a trio ..., but ... incorporated this ... into his ...
        "Quartet for the End of Time". This was first performed ...
        to an audience of prisoners and prison guards, the
        composer playing a poorly maintained upright piano,
        in freezing conditions in January 1941.

        - from the Wikipedia entry for 'Olivier Meesiaen'

Chris Bruce
Kiel, Germany