[lit-ideas] To what extent must we appreciate a work of art "on its own terms"?

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 15:53:32 EST

To a Popperian extent. Allow me to explain:

In a message dated 2/27/2009 3:44:19 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes (words to the effect):

He starts on a negative note:

>There are many senses ['scenarios'. JLS]
>and point of views from which
>a work of art can NOT set its own standard
>(including the almost logical one that, if it could,
>there would be no independent standards - everything
>would achieve the standard it set itself, in a trivial  sense).

The exception that proves the rule:

>There may nevertheless be *one sense* [scenario. JLS]
>in which we *should* _try_ *to* appreciate a WOArt on its own  terms.

I'm confused. It's like saying, 'pigs can't fly', but there is a scenario
where we should try to appreciate a flying pig.

I thought you preferred 'must' to should.
If you are happy with drop the scare quotes, do. I usually never  [seriously]
answer quizzes that scare me.

Cheers,

JL
steps!