[lit-ideas] Re: To bus a lime...

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 09:33:23 -0800

On Feb 6, 2009, at 9:17 AM, Judith Evans wrote:

Ah, crapaud.

(I'm now spending too much time reading Trini sayings on the web!)

I really like that last one I submitted, "If snake come outa bush an' say 'snake dey,'--he dey." If a snake comes out of the bush and says, "I'm a snake," it's most definitely a snake. What I like about this, other than the way it's expressed--he dey!-- is the paradoxical thought that if a snake *says* it's a snake, you can trust that it's a snake. If a snake talks, it's clearly not a snake.

Before we get too pollyanna-ish, somewhere--I've lost the page--is a word to describe, "hitting someone repeatedly with the flat part of a machete blade." Clearly this happens often enough to need such a word.

One final one, "They don' pelt mango tree wit'out mango," meaning, "persons who are doers often come in for unfair criticism."

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon