[lit-ideas] Re: Time on my hands, my face, tendons of Achilles

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 14:10:45 -0700

Today the world has turned and fiction is looking strangely unimaginative. Bolvia vs Argentina 6-1? What on earth? Last time I saw Argentina play, they were good. Weirder yet, however, and you can see this on Footytube, is a Wales v Germany game. Note

a) the emptiness of the stands
b) the American football move--a block-- thrown by a German player that, for who knows what reason, the ref thinks is just fine in the penalty area
c) the Welsh defence's attempt to define "hapless"
d) Germany's captain, Ballack, arguing with his own teammate, a Polish-German

If this disturbs you, I have a solution: an "activity" offered this weekend in which you learn to "pair salmon with your favorite local wines." The trick, I'm given to understand, is to remember which one goes on a plate and which in the glass. See Washington County Weekly section of "The Oregonian" for details. Hurry, while the newspaper is still in business.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon

Bonus points for identifying the source of the title line.