[lit-ideas] Re: Tibet, Google and Moomins

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 20:47:49 -0500

Why have any play if you don't want it to be foreign -- or any art for that
matter.  I've always thought that art is subversive -- play itself is
subversive, not in its mission but in its effect.  But that's not to say
that play is not serious.  And, yes, I'm a sucker for all that Joycean stuff
about the prison gates of the soul and to press out again from the gross
earth or what it brings forth, etc., but one of my favorite quotes from
Joyce is, ''There is no heresy or no philosophy which is so abhorrent to the
church as a human being.'  I would change "church" to any governing power.
Human imagination is the preeminent threat to all authority.

Mike Geary
Memphis