[lit-ideas] Re: Threefer Sunday

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 11:36:47 -0800

One

When you have aging animals in the house, the thing you notice about white carpets is that they leave no gaps in the historical record.

Two

Some days start so badly, they make you want to hate foreigners.

Three

I see this one as a children's book called, "I, the Designer, have lunch with the pragmatist C.I. Lewis."

"Hello boys and girls," it begins, "I design your world: the chair, the table, the processes which bring you food. I am invisible, but indispensable.

"Walking down the road, I have my eco=shoes on, and my Wei-Shu Hi socks, and my thrift store glasses. Aren't these cool glasses?

"But wait. What is this, boys and girls... here is C.I. Lewis, flat out on the ground. He has fallen by the wayside.

"I spring into action. I initiate the first stage of a thinking big/ designing small process to discover what help he needs. I manage negotiable and non-negotiable constraints. I evaluate and conceptualize fonts to brand a sign to warn people of the dangers of this wayside.

"Utilizing structuration theory and Maslow's needs, I raise awareness.

"We take a rain check on lunch."

David Ritchie,
actually in quite a good mood in
Portland, Oregon