[lit-ideas] Re: Three Blind Mice (was: On the prospect of World Peace)

  • From: Jack Spratt <dosflounder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 09:39:17 -0700 (PDT)

Lawrence,
  I find it pointless to try to convince you of what I have read, or not read.
Rest assured I am not trying gain your approval or care what your opinion of me
may be. Let us stay on point and drop the personal jabs.

  Fukuyama does, as you say, have a plan, but where is it leading us? World
peace may be a small reward for a world where men are the equivalent of
Nietzsche?s ?last man", complacent, non-ambitious bean counters. Even Fukuyama
doesn't find this attractive and leaves open the door for history to start up
again. Getting to this end of history is not guaranteed. Fukuyama apparently
sees Fascism and Communism of the 20th century and all their horrors as side
paths on the road history is on. Tribalism on the African Continent, the former
Yugoslavia and Asia is on the rise faster than liberal democracy is. Are these
also side paths to be ignored?

  See this link for a critical article on Fukuyama from someone who, I think,
read the book. (Sorry Lawrence I could not resist.)

  http://www.newcriterion.com/archive/10/feb92/fukuyama.htm

  J.S.

  The one thing we lack is a handy utopia.

Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
                Nasty, nasty.  I am not convinced you read either of those
books.  Your statements don?t support the idea that you read them.   That?s not
disagreeing.  Your disjointed comments introducing an extraneous book that you
probably did read only confused matters.  Little itty bitty spiteful zapping
notes are my bane.  I hate them.  They don?t say anything and I end up with a
low opinion of the person that sends them.  But feel free to learn that at your
own rate.

  Lawrence