[lit-ideas] Re: Thousands Die in Papua, New Guinea

  • From: carolkir@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 10:26:47 -0800

Eric: "...nihilistic blank-angry stare at TV can only arise in third
generation TV viewers"

Bone up on your Oprah, fella! Weep with the masses on daytime (or
ultra late-night), and share your tragedies on TV, like the rest of
self-exploiting, hyper-emotional America. Or just look at YouTube for
a while. (In "America" I include Latin America, or Meximerican TV.
Same type of stuff, only the live audiences are in their 70s and
haven't practiced  working out since their last baby. Makes you wonder
how they fill up studio audiences with youthful people in the U.S.)

I'm sort of differing with you, I guess. News cameras often capture
plenty of blank awe right after a tragedy strikes the person. The
babble comes later. Onlookers' babble and anger comes after that, and
organized rallies have usually depended on participants' belief that
they'll see themselves on TV tonight, if they're loud enough (this
said by an old Berkeley survivor). The horror of a blank stare from a
hungry, near-dead child isn't a feint, though, and if we saw our own
faces in theirs, on TV, we wouldn't casually flip the channel--not
even today. That's why the Bush admin hasn't allowed corpses of OUR
guys shown on TV, as during Vietnam. It's all pretty much sanitzed for
us, and the war marches on. Those starving children don't look like my
kids or yours, so although I'm not exactly okay with it, what can we
do way off in whereverville? Pass the guacamole.