[lit-ideas] Re: Thought of the Day

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 00:53:13 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Was Jane Fonda there?  Who's Bertie?  Bertrand Russell?  Bert and Ernie?  I
heard Jane Fonda interviewed once.  She said that many years after the fact her
father told her something to the effect of that he was ready to support
throwing her in jail (or something strong along those lines) for her antiwar
activities, for being a Communist basically.  She said she was shocked.  She
always thought of him as the man of the Grapes of Wrath and she thought he
approved of her activities.  Apparently Henry Fonda had no personality,
seriously.  He would take on the personality of whatever character he played
and when he wasn't acting, he was pretty much a blank.  That's why his comment
to her was such a shock, that's how little she knew him, and she was how old
when she doing the antiwar thing?  Her mother committed suicide when Jane was a
child.  No wonder poor Jane has such a control problem.  I always liked her,
liked her overachieving spirit, even if it was born of loss.  I kind of think
of Bill Buckley Sr. in the same way, poor little rich kid, never good enough so
always overachieving in the hope of being good enough.  He was one of my heros
for years until his politics finally got to me.