[lit-ideas] Re: Thinks

  • From: Stephen Straker <straker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 10:28:49 -0700

> 'Swotted' (UK, fr. sweated) = (in this case) to have prepared thoroughly for
> an
> exam ('swotted up' a subject).

As a last resort, look it up or check the manual. But I'm
not that desparate. I can ask the list.

I always supposed "swotted up" came from "swot" - the sound
made when pounding or beating something, like beating a rug
- so when something is "swotted" or "swotted up", it's
beaten up and down, beaten into submission, thoroughly
worked over ...

Anything to this?

Stephen Straker
Department of Creative Etymology