[lit-ideas] Thinks

  • From: JulieReneB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 22:40:05 EDT

A couple years ago either someone on the Phil-Lit list or on a book
discussion list (which included several philosophy & psychology types) I used
to belong
to someone referred to me the book "Thinks" by David Lodge.  If someone here
remembers suggesting the book, or is familiar with it, would you say so?  I'm
only in the middle of chapter 4, having just picked it up this evening (I
found a scrap of paper with the title & author scrawled on it in a muddle of
old
papers a couple weeks ago and remembered I wanted to order the thing).  I'm
already wondering what of his I want to read next.  I find his breadth of
knowledge impressive and his writing style very entertaining.  I love, e.g.,
this
brief description of TV -- "For simple mindless distraction you can't beat
early
evening television.  No scene lasts more than thirty seconds, and the stories
jump from character to character so fast that you hardly notice how
cardboard-thin they are.".  But it's a truly fascinating discussion of
consciousness,
wrapped in a novel -- and the plot is also an aspect of the examination and
exploration of what consciousness is.  I wasn't, for a long time, very good
with
American vernacular, much less contemporary British, so I am puzzled by some
vocabulary which seems to be British colloquialisms I would not likely find in
dictionary  -- "swotted"?  (Judy?) -- "Was it for this they swotted for A
Levels...?"; "fuzz" -- "No fuzz asking you to turn out your pockets." (?).  I'm
really writing this post, though, to elicit reactions to or discussion of the
book if anyone has read it, and to tell you who haven't that you would want to
<g>.
Julie Krueger