[lit-ideas] Re: "There's an old saying in Tennessee"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 22:24:05 EDT

In a message dated 6/28/2004 10:17:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
JulieReneB@xxxxxxx writes:
What  confuses you?  Bush just couldn't
say it right.  He forgot the  second half

What strikes me as interesting is that he wanted to qualify the expression
as being 'an old saying in Tennessee' -- was the speech being delivered there?
He then notes he _knows_ it's a saying in Texas.

I would think that the proverb is actually generalized all over the United
States, and possibly of English origin?

I do not have the Oxford  Dictionary of English proverbs to hand, but the
post I sent earlier -- with the  online link -- says it's an Oriental (Chinese)
proverb. So what's the source for  believing it's only Tennessee/Texas?

Cheers,

JL