[lit-ideas] Re: There's a person, a person in the...

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 09:58:26 -0700

On Jul 8, 2009, at 12:21 PM, karltrogge@xxxxxxxx wrote:

On 8-Jul-09, at 7:27 PM, David Ritchie wrote:

I'd like to propose a contest of our own: the Isabel Sawhill competition. All you have to do to enter is find a published riddle or wash of metaphors which impresses in the manner of the following example from Sawhill, "a budget expert at the Brookings Institute" (also probably a very nice person who was just trying to say something quotable under pressure of deadline),

"The fear is if we just let the economy continue to be a big hole, that in itself will balloon the deficit, because revenues are just anemic right now."

Does the following from The (Manchester) Guardian Weekly's website qualify?

http://www.guardianweekly.co.uk/21stcenturylife

Headline: "India: credit crunch rocks diamond workers"

Sub-header: "21st century life: The worldwide recession has decimated India's diamond industry to its knees."

I'm still collecting these.  Someone off-list sent me:

The People's Republic of Portland has gone head over heels beyond the
pale and plunged mightily over the cliff of self-awareness this summer."
--- Lawrence J. Maushard, Oregonian, B4, 7/29/09

Last week I heard on NPR, "They are battling a constant stream of bureaucratic hurdles," and decided, without due cause, to expand the rules to include radio and television speech.

Continue to have at it.

David Ritchie,