[lit-ideas] Re: There's a person, a person in the...

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 14:55:45 -0230

Quoting Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>:

>  >>"More," he pleaded, Oliver Twisting your arms and ears. <<
>
> At first it was just a beginning, a sudden start that looked
> flabby  and weathered -- flabby as a fat orange tabby,
> flabby like an unkempt, incontinent Manx belching on an
> ottoman, its fur stained with popcorn butter, and weathered
> as a prehistoric bark tool, weathered like the face of my
> neighbor, Cynthia Dashwood, a chain-smoking hotbody who
> pushes men away from her, flapping her palms like a chimp
> gorging on fleas from its brother's back and then pushing
> him away.

I find this a very difficult sentence to read probably because, catastrophic use
of metaphor and idiosyncratic deployment of punctuation nothwithstanding, it
reads like Habermas in translation or Robert Brandom in English since you've
packed too many ideas and claims in it - ideas and claims that run off in all
directions - and so the reader feels like she is herding cats instead of
reading clear, elegant prose for which the Englisch language shines like a
towering beacon for the rest of the world's shabby babbling.

Actually, that felt sort of good - yes, exhilirating and liberating, even. I
wonder what my analyst would say about that?

Amidst a sea of papers,

Walter O