[lit-ideas] Re: The year without a summer...

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 08:58:48 -0700 (PDT)

Some say global warming should be more accurately called global weirding, if
global warming or weirding is what's causing these anomalies.  Anybody see the
History Channel show on the Little Ice Age?  The year without a summer was
caused by the explosion of Mt. Tambora, nothing really to do with the Little
Ice Age that was around five centuries long.  Really interesting.  The Little
Ice Age devastated Europe (from starvation which led to disease, crops wouldn't
grow as well), especially following on the heels of the Black Plague.  It
reduced Napoleon's army from 600,000 to around 5,000, among a slew of other
historical occurrences.  Nobody really knows what caused the Little Ice Age.
Some scientists think the thermohaline circulation slowed for unknown reasons.
It all rebounded toward the end of the 19th century and we are the
beneficiaries of the rebound.  Climate is absolutely unpredictable.  I forget
who coined the expression that it's
 a wild beast and we're poking it with a stick with our billions of tons of
warming gases each year.  We're warming at a time when the planet wants to
cool.

Andy