[lit-ideas] The writer and the reader - and life

  • From: cblitid@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 11:08:55 +0100

Prominent American novelist (retired):

"You know, I needed my life as a springboard for my fiction. I have to have something solid under my feet when I write. I’m not a fantasist. I bounce up and down on the diving board and I go into the water of fiction."

And I, as reader, have always seen it the other way: 'bounce up and down on the diving board' of fiction and then 'go into the water' of life.

This is probably why I never have (and never will?) write anything of note. I get ideas and then go out and (try to) live them ....

Chris Bruce,
practising his beating-the-breast stroke,
and waving, not drowning, in
Kiel, Germany

P.S.: The p. A. n. is Philip Roth:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/18/books/struggle-over-philip-roth-reflects-on-putting-down-his-pen.html?hp&pagewanted=all&_r=0