[lit-ideas] Re: The winner has already been selected?

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 00:30:00 -0500

I had written:

"Hand the  keys over to the Iraqis, move the troops out of the cities
and into the  countryside... "

to which Marlena wrote:

"Please--would you explain this one?  Why into the countryside and not
back to the countries to which they belong???"

Iraq doesn't yet have a sufficiently competent police force and military
that could maintain order.  The move to the countryside is strategic.
First, having coalition forces mixed in with the civilian population
only increases the number of innocents killed when the terrorists
indiscriminately fire off mortars or set off car bombs.  Second, the
terrorists can mix with the population.  By moving into the countryside,
fewer innocent people will be killed, the coalition forces can better
defend themselves and the terrorists face greater risks of exposing
themselves.

Marlena continues:

"I cannot  imagine allowing someone who Bush wanted elected BE elected
..."

What an odd thing to say.  The Iraqis don't have to vote for any
particular person.  It seems to me that having the imprimatur of Bush
would guarantee a candidate not being elected.

Again, Marlena:

"I have thought, for a long time, that the US ought to stay until things
are 'okay' in Iraq since we de-stabilized the whole country and
destroyed what infrastructure they DID have.  I am not so sure, any
longer."

It seems to me that the US should leave as soon as possible, even if
things aren't 'okay'.  The job of making Iraq 'okay' must be the
responsibility of Iraqis, not the US, even if the US made mistakes.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON