[lit-ideas] Re: The winner has already been selected?

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 17:17:47 -0500

Andreas Ramos wrote:

"Because the 'bringing democracy to the Arab world' idea is officially
dead."

I am not surprised and if Andreas has been reading what I have written
recently, he should know that.  As I wrote earlier, Bush is at heart an
isolationist working hard to nurture a legacy as a great war president.
The 'bringing democracy to the Arab world' nonsense was the neocon
rhetoric he borrowed when the 'Iraq has WMD and working with al Qaeda'
nonsense was exposed.  As I see it, the elections in Iraq give Bush the
excuse to get most of the US troops out of Iraq and room to maneuver to
establish his legacy.  Iran seems to be a future target (not necessarily
by invasion) but my guess is that Bush hasn't yet decided on what might
get him into that pantheon of conservative greats with Reagan.  He wants
the equivalent of the so-called overthrowing of communism.  All the talk
of democracy and WMD is rhetoric towards that goal.

Having said all that, and despite the horribly botched invasion, I do
think that Iraq is better off and I hope, in the long run, a stable
democratic government can establish itself.  And here Bush is surely
right: it is only the Iraqi people who can make it work and the sooner
they take over the job, the better.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON