[lit-ideas] Re: The winner has already been selected?

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 12:26:47 -0800

"Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> ... and moved Iraqi politics towards democracy (that remains to be
> seen (but I am sure we all hope that it turns out that Andreas is wrong,
> right?)).

Okay, Phil, time to learn a new idea about Iraq. Because the "bringing
democracy to the Arab
world" idea is officially dead.

Yes, officially. The White House has given up on the democracy-for-Arabs
project. They
finally realized that not only it wouldn't work, it would also wreck US
influence in the
area. Read below.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com

Bush officials abandon push for Arab democracy

GROWING HATRED OF U.S. POLICIES FOILS NEW WASHINGTON INITIATIVES

By Joel Brinkley

New York Times

WASHINGTON - When Secretary of State Colin Powell and other senior American
officials attend
a summit meeting in Morocco next Saturday that is intended to promote democracy
across the
Arab world, they have no plans to introduce any political initiatives to
encourage
democratic change.

President Bush started speaking in 2002 about the need to bring democracy to
the Arab
nations. Since then, however, the popular view of the United States in the
region has grown
so dark, even hateful, that American officials are approaching the meeting with
caution and
with a package of financial and social initiatives that have only a scant
relationship to
the original goal of political change.

Administration officials and their allies defend the change in strategy, saying
the United
States should no longer try to take the lead.

``Others have gotten involved in the political side, and that is a good
thing,'' said Lorne
W. Craner, who was assistant secretary of state for democracy and human rights
until August
and now is president of the International Republican Institute, a
government-financed
organization dedicated to advancing democracy worldwide.

Contribute to change

The Middle East Partnership Initiative, which has received $264 million from
Congress since
1993, has a political component. But a study by two scholars at the Brookings
Institution,
published this week, found that it was ``increasingly shifting its resources
from democracy
promotion and engagement with local volunteer organizations, to the far less
provocative
path of regime-led economic development.''

That ``can have the effect of subsidizing an Arab government's attempts to
build a kinder,
gentler autocracy,'' it added. ``The whole thing rings hollow,'' said Steven A.
Cook, a
fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations, a non-partisan research group based
in New York.
``What is missing is not technical and financial know-how, it is the political
will to
reform,'' said Cook, whose field of study is political change in the Arab
world. ``I don't
think these programs mesh with the president's rhetoric.''

Anger about a perceived bias toward Israel in Washington and about the war in
Iraq have made
the United States unpopular among many in the Arab world. Then, in February,
when an Arabic
newspaper published a draft of a Bush administration plan urging the world's
wealthiest
nations to press for political change in the Middle East, several Arab leaders
erupted in
anger. President Hosni Mubarak of Egypt, a close ally of Washington, called the
plan
``delusional.''

The administration quickly abandoned the plan.

The unspoken fact behind all of the discussions, said Leslie Campbell, director
of the
Middle East Program at the National Democratic Institute for International
Affairs, a
government-financed group that promotes democracy worldwide, ``is that we are
trying to work
with a bunch of people who are going to be kicked out of office'' if democratic
change moves
forward. For now, he added, ``it's easier to support free-trade agreements than
political
change.''

-- Type: image/gif
-- File: spacer.gif