[lit-ideas] Re: The winner has already been selected?

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 16:22:36 -0500

Lawrence Helm wrote:

"I do agree with what you say about Bush being elected on a platform of
not Nation Building, but the Neocon position is counter to that."

My impression is that the Neocons were useful for the Bush
administration but did not at any time constitute the ideological core.
Bush is at heart an isolationist.  I take this to mean that while he
will use military force anywhere in the world, he understands this force
as being part of the US war on terrorism as opposed to some grand neocon
vision of transforming the world.

Lawrence:

"It seems a good thing to export or brand of democracy, but I think Bush
has had his fill of that for awhile.  If someone in his administration
is urging him to intervene militarily in Iran or Syria, I would bet he
is resisting the idea."

I agree.  However, if Iran or Syria started making too many of the wrong
noises, all bets would be off.  As I said above, it seems to me that
Bush sees himself as a war president, where the war is against
terrorism, as opposed to a foreign policy president who spreads
democracy.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON