[lit-ideas] Re: The winner has already been selected?

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 19:20:07 +0000

Saturday, December 4, 2004, 7:55:37 AM, Lawrence Helm wrote:

(Hello, Lawrence)

LH> Andreas:  I agree with most of what you have written here.  I wouldn't go as
LH> far as you do and say there won't be a democracy in Iraq, but I have strong
LH> doubts that there will.

I do too -- the conditions for a stable democracy are not there. I don't think
failure is inevitable, obviously, but do think it likely.

LH> I think we will hang around for awhile,

You weren't, I think, on-List when I quoted the head of our Army: he said we'll
be there "for years", that tends to sugges you till too. Certainly, for some
while. The Black Watch has left Camp Dogwood and will be home for Christmas
(Blair knows there are some promises he has to keep) but

The British commander who sent the Black Watch north told the BBC last week
that other British units could be redeployed to other parts of Iraq in the
future.

and I'd say he doesn't only mean "until the elections"

(cut)

LH> You asked who the insurgents are.  I watched part of a C-Span discussion
LH> last night and a couple of experts thought that Iraq was becoming the new
LH> training ground for Islamist warriors much like what occurred in Afghanistan
LH> prior to 1989.  Experts had evidence that some Muslims were leaving Europe
LH> to join the insurgents in Iraq.

I am sure that's correct.  It's said 3 British Muslims have joined the
Al-Zarqawi group (I can't find the newpaper piece that said more) and here, we
are fortunate, British Muslims are for historical reasons less alienated (and
non-Muslims, less alienated from them) than in say the Netherlands.
("Fortunate" and "for historical reasons" somewhat obscure the efforts made by
our politicians and by British Muslims to try, anyway, to ensure that that
continues.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/1124/p06s01-woeu.html

was just a
LH> matter of time.  Holland endured their 9/11 when Van Gogh was assassinated

I wouldn't call that a 9/11 -- and I'd say its effect was the greater for the
assassination of Pim Fortuyn

LH> and since then they have introduced legislation that someone described as
LH> making our Patriot act look like Kumbaya.

they have? I could only find this:

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/11/12/netherlands.raid.ap/

--
 Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK