[lit-ideas] Re: The winner has already been selected?

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 23:37:07 EST

In a message dated 12/2/2004 8:37:55 PM Central Standard Time,
phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Hand the  keys over to the Iraqis, move
the troops out of the cities and into the  countryside,

Hi,
Please--would you explain this one?  Why into the countryside and not  back
to the countries to which they belong???

I read the interim constitution and it is kind of horrible if you were one
of the ones to be affected.  I doubt that many would care enough to do so,
though.

I cannot imagine being in Iraq right now and being a mom.  I cannot  imagine
allowing someone who Bush wanted elected BE elected--solely because my  trust
in his 'care and concern' for me and my babies would just be totally NOT
there.

I look around my quiet suburban world and wonder how the people here would
react were someone like Bush to decide that he didn't want our own People to be
 in charge of our lives. (granted, it would never happen considering the
amount  of people who are losing jobs, need healthcare--women like the Bush
supporter  across the street who just informed me of the conflict in her
household
about  money and how she is going to go back to work even though she has two
little  ones and they are still convinced that Bush cares enough for them and
conservative family values so the disconnect over her having to do so since the
 finances have shifted n the past 2 years to cause this...(I am kind of tired
of  being the marriage counselor, can you tell?  I was tonight, too, for
another family, as well...though they didn't vote for Bush--they voted for no
one.  Like that helped anyone...)

I have thought, for a long time, that the US ought to stay until things are
'okay' in Iraq since we de-stabilized the whole country and destroyed what
infrastructure they DID have.

I am not so sure, any longer.

I think of how generous the US and Other nations are in *forgiving*
debt--debt caused because we lent Saddam Hussein $$ for weapons... has nothing
to do
with the $$ that will be needed to repair the damage done which has been  done
by US (and other) troops.

The 'selfish' part of me understands that we need to control the region and
the oil in order for our own people to have what we want.  The part of me
which aches with the Other is in dismay.

I also know from talking to siblings and others in the military and
industrial military complex that the dehumanizing of the Iraqi people is
practically
complete.  It scares me.  I cannot completely join  them--just trying to,
though, in order to try to stem the frustration is an  exercise which is rather
horrific.  Oh, well, right?  Most of us are  not affected and will never be.
But...my heart breaks, nevertheless.   I think of what if it were me and Ben...

Still longing for a miracle,
Marlena in Missouri