[lit-ideas] Re: The winner has already been selected?

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 19:27:59 +0000

Friday, December 3, 2004, 6:55:13 PM, Phil Enns wrote:

PE> Michael Chase:

MC> "So I guess if the Iraqis elected, say, Osama bin Laden or Saddam Hussain,
MC> George Bush would simply shrug and say, 'Well, there you have it. It was the
MC> will of the people', and go off to make his congratulatory phone call?"

PE> Well, I suppose if we are being silly then yes, Bush would simply shrug and
PE> say 'Well, there you have it.'

Thank you for being silly first, Mike -- always nice when someone else takes
the flak... But I have to push Phil on this.  Yes, that's silly. So, I'd say,
is the election of a candidate I was going to suggest: Al-Zarkawi (or someone
similar).

But why is the election of someone like Al-Z "silly"?  Because it is
unthinkable. Why is it unthinkable? Because of the range of candidates who will
be deemed acceptable both internally and (let's be polite) "internationally".
Why will they be deemed unacceptable?  Because of the "political climate" that
will surround the election, because of what we call "agenda-setting",
"mobilization of bias", "non-decisions" and "the politics of anticipated
reaction".
Admittedly we political scientists analyse a world that now and then plays
dirty pool and elects someone like Al-Zarkawi. But so far, so unlikely.

I hope this helps, Phil

--
 Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK
mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx