[lit-ideas] Re: The tourist heart

  • From: david ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 20:28:59 -0700

How does one translate, "Her heart is in the right place" into the languages that you know?

I realized in conversation over dinner that I wasn't sure how best to say this in French or German--the two additional languages I speak.

Then I thought it might be fun to see how this particular expression changed from culture to culture. If, indeed, it does.

I further wondered how many cultures share the notion that the heart is the seat of emotion and that someone's heart can travel like the fellow who refuses to look at a map or ask for directions, forging ahead until it is thoroughly lost in black woods?

And--following the model of the wandering womb-- what diseases, if any, were attributed to the tourist heart? I know that nostalgia was a nineteenth century diagnosis, treated quite violently during Napoleon's invasion of Russia. What else?

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon