[lit-ideas] The threat of Chavez

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 22:29:33 -0700 (PDT)

Chávez is, of course, a threat, especially to the
United States. Like the Sandinistas in Nicaragua, who
based their revolution on the English co-operative
moment, and the moderate Allende in Chile, he offers
the threat of an alternative way of developing a
decent society: in other words, the threat of a good
example in a continent where the majority of humanity
has long suffered a Washington-designed peonage. In
the US media in the 1980s, the "threat" of tiny
Nicaragua was seriously debated until it was crushed.
Venezuela is clearly being "softened up" for something
similar. A US army publication, Doctrine for
Asymmetric War against Venezuela, describes Chávez and
the Bolivarian revolution as the "largest threat since
the Soviet Union and Communism". When I said to Chávez
that the US historically had had its way in Latin
America, he replied: "Yes, and my assassination would
come as no surprise. But the empire is in trouble, and
the people of Venezuela will resist an attack. We ask
only for the support of all true democrats."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,1773966,00.html

http://mail.yahoo.com