[lit-ideas] Re: The tetragrammaton

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 16:17:04 +0100

I cannot comment on all this, I'll just say that the notion that the
tetragrammaton
(YHWH) is derived from a causative form of the verb 'to be' is a scholarly
theory or  hypothesis, not something to be cited as an established fact.
The use of such a causative form of 'to be' is not otherwise attested in
the Bible, but rather that verb is a construct of scholars. Also, Hebrew as
known from the Bible does not have a present tense of the verb 'to be,'
whether it had it at some still earlier time - or whether God originally
spoke to Moses in some language other than Hebrew, such as Egyptian - is a
matter of conjecture.

As to the pronunciation, it could be "Yahweh" or "Yahwah" or "Yehua" or
"Yehoa" all of which are consistent with the written form.

O.K.