[lit-ideas] Re: The principle of the uniformity of nature

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 20:16:54 -0600

All I can tell you for certain is that eschatology makes me think of
scatology. Certainly Greek skat-, stem of skor (genitive skatos)
"excrement," from PIE *sker- "excrement, dung" (cognates: Latin stercus
"dung"), literally "to cut off;" see shear
<http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=shear&allowed_in_frame=0> (v.),
and compare shit
<http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=shit&allowed_in_frame=0> (v.).
Certainly the Latinized form of Greek eskhatos "last, furthest, uttermost,
extreme, most remote" in time, space, degree, (from PIE *eghs-ko-, suffixed
form of *eghs "out") has little to do with our subject, but it is
interesting in the way that humans seem to be attracted to "nasty" things.
(But what the shit do know of such things?)  Also, is an "a
priori conception" in any way similar to an Immaculate Conception? I can
make something up if you don't know.  Other than those issues, life seems
to be pretty much in order and so I leave you to yourselves. "Define thine
own self" as I once said in a lecture entitled "Down And Dirty Down in
Dixie."to the Memphis Metaphysical Society. My blessing, I leave you.