[lit-ideas] Re: The nothing noths

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 12:44:40 -0500

Or is it

The Nought noughts.

?

In a message dated 2/17/2015 9:14:21 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Consider: 'Das gras ist grune' and 'The  grass is green'.

Point taken.

It might be argued that Heidegger

ii. Das Nichts nichtet.

and, roughly,

i. The nothing noths.

rings different 'bells', if I might use a favourite expression of Geary's
-- he uses literally ("Tom is ringing a different bell from Jerry").

Indeed, 'nothing' is a bit _loaded_.

O. K. is right that the capital "N" adds to something: it's the  "Nothing"
that noths.

And not just "Nothing" -- _the_ Nothing.

"Nothing" is a compound in English: "no-thing". So I'm sure "Nought",
archaic for "Nothing" should please a Heideggerian more.

Note that it should be, "the Nought", too.

When Sartre was feeling poetic (and I think C. B. quotes from Sartre, or
rather the author of his Huffington quotation quotes from Sartre) when giving
a  reason as to why read Heidegger (again "the greatest living
philosopher", in the  words of Grice), he uttered,

'Conscience,' that "noughting nought"

-- i.e. "néant néantisant"

When defining conscience (i.e. the "I" in Grice, "Personal Identity" -- as
in "I love you"), Sartre -- or his translator, uses 'Nought' and not 'noth'
qua  verb, but perhaps more correctly, 'nought'.

So (i) becomes

iii. The Nought noughts.

And the noughting nought -- "le néant néantisant" was Sartre (if not his
wife's, too) self.

It might be argued that Sartre and Ayer -- who are not native speakers of
German, M. H.'s vernacular) are taking M. H.'s adage out of context. But
Carnap  surely wasn't, and it was Carnap's original overreaction that made
history (and  was the cause, indirectly, of the linguistic turn in philosophy).

Cheers,

Speranza