[lit-ideas] Re: The nothing noths

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 06:35:20 +0100

D. P. Henry notes that a mediaeval philosopher said something like, "By
necessity, nothing must be nothing", which Henry claims is like the
predecessor  of Heidegger's claim.

O.K.: Does "Das Nicht nichtet" simply mean "nothing is nothing" ?

Well, if Henry is right that there is some deductive system in which "The
Nothing noths" becomes a logical truth, we may find this conclusion as being
 yielded by premises and axioms in the system which are the logical
correlates of  'rules of grammar'.

O.K.: On the above reading, the mysterious Henry is surely right. There is
such a logical system, and it's called tautology.

Well, I do think Heidegger was illustrating 'annihilation' and nihilism,
and came up with "The Nothing noths" as a good adage to abbreviate that way
of looking at things.

O.K.: Here I would like to see some further clarification. (Or perhaps
simply clarification) What is "nihilism" and how is it illustrated by the
above truism ?