[lit-ideas] Re: The nature of Media Bias

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 22:06:31 -0800

Gosh.  I suppose I do have a problem with using the term "liberal."  I think
of myself as a Liberal from an earlier period, Truman's time.  The modern
who calls himself Liberal seems to me much further to the Left.  I recently
had a debate with some people who called themselves Liberal and yet defended
Chomsky.  The Liberal from an earlier period would never have identified
with Chomsky -- someone who identifies himself as an Anarcho-Syndicalist.

As to who invented the complaint about Media Bias, I recall in the 50s and
60s that the Media seemed to favor the Conservative Position.  The New York
Times in those days, if memory serves me, was biased toward the right.

As to picking out a story as evidence of anything, I don't see what that
would prove.  I have friends and acquaintances on both sides of the
political fence, and they both complain that the Media is biased against
their position.  No referenced Media Outlet is 100% one way or the other so
anyone reading or listening to any of them could find a news story that
countered something they believe.

As to the noted statistics being a "Clever statistical analysis" of ?The
Weekly Standard,? that is rather preposterous.  The Grosclose and Milyo
analysis has been around since September of 2003 and TWS seems to have
discovered it late.  I had never heard of it and thought others might be
interested.  After posting the info from Barros? article I did some web
browsing:

Here are some sites that refer to Grosclose and Milyo.  None of them show a
connection between them and TWS.  You can tell from the tenor of these sites
that both Grosclose and Milyo specialize in Political matters.  I find it
easy to believe that they were interested in performing the aforementioned
analysis for reasons of their own and not for reasons of TWS.

Note: the person who wrote the article for TWS, Robert Barro, is a Professor
from Harvard who doesn?t work for TWS.  Here is the same author writing a
similar article for Business Week:  HYPERLINK
"http://www.businessweekasia.com/magazine/content/04_24/b3887030_mz007.htm"h
ttp://www.businessweekasia.com/magazine/content/04_24/b3887030_mz007.htm

Here is the entire Gosclose-Milyo analysis as it was published in September
2003: HYPERLINK
"http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:tCEKSNVW-OYJ:mason.gmu.edu/~atabarro/M
ediaBias.doc+Groseclose+%2BMilyo&hl=en"http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:
tCEKSNVW-OYJ:mason.gmu.edu/~atabarro/MediaBias.doc+Groseclose+%2BMilyo&hl=en

The following is Milyo responding to a criticism of the analysis: HYPERLINK
"http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/001301.html"http://itre
.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/001301.html

Here is a Pew Research Center Analysis on the much the same subject:
HYPERLINK
"http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?ReportID=215"http://people-pre
ss.org/reports/display.php3?ReportID=215

Here is an NCPA Analysis on the same subject.  HYPERLINK
"http://www.ncpa.org/edo/bb/2004/20040623bb.htm"http://www.ncpa.org/edo/bb/2
004/20040623bb.htm

Lawrence Helm

San Jacinto