[lit-ideas] Re: The nature of Media Bias

  • From: Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Robert Paul)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 11 Dec 2004 19:58:09 PST

Lawrence suggests that liberals (a term he seems to have difficulty saying
without somehow qualifying it) complain about 'media bias' (against them, one
assumes).

While I'm sure that some liberals do complain that the media fails to cover many
stories which would reflect unfavorably on the current Administration, or covers
them only shallowly, it might be well to remember that the charge of 'media
bias' was not invented by liberals: it has been the constant whine of
conservatives for decades. This suggests to me that a conservative is one who
can dish it out but can't take it.

If there's to be a real discussion of any of this--that is, if Lawrence isn't
just trolling--it would be useful if he would point to some significant story or
event that was covered (or not covered) in the media such that its being
presented as it was presented or its not being presented at all was favorable to
some factitious liberal 'point of view.'

I believe that anyone who thinks that there is such a general pro-liberal bias
must not watch much television or read any newspapers except The New York Times,
The Boston Globe, and The Washington Post. As Berkeley says, 'Some truths there
are so near and obvious to the mind that a man need only open his eyes to see
them.'

Several things make me think that the Weekly Standard's experts' clever
statistical analysis' is nothing but hot air, of little value in actually
assessing the media's bent or its influence. First, FOX news is now the leading
cable news network. Second, the ADA is these days the fringe of a fringe, whose
positions may or may not reflect mainstream liberalism (a phrase that may appear
oxymoronish to some). It played no serious role in the recent election, and its
specific views are, I'd bet, unknown to most liberals.

Oh, and about talk radio...

Robert Paul
Reed College