[lit-ideas] Re: The most famous songwriter you never heard of

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:14:51 -0800

On Feb 11, 2010, at 4:03 AM, John McCreery wrote:

This original version is further modified in the Marathon variation

Stand up, athletes.
Follow the flag
Courageously continue
Push on to the goal....

Interesting example of cultural transmission and adaption.

Any thoughts?

It needs a cameo by Mel Gibson somewhere. See Sunday Twofer a couple weeks back for details.

More seriously, I think the poem's history is very interesting. Thank you for calling our attention to it.

David Ritchie,
hoping Fabregas won't push on to goals in Barcelona,
Portland, Oregon