[lit-ideas] Re: The meaning of life [correction]

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 16:17:38 -0800

I wrote

There's nothing contradictory about willing that only the fittest should survive (in fact, as a statement about how organisms prosper and decline, it looks more like a tautology, 'fittest' being defined in terms of survival). If I were to will that only the fittest students should be admitted to Okshevsky U., I'd be doing nothing prima facie immoral or illogical. Yet if 'fittest' is cashed out in terms of grades and test scores, there might be objections to my willing this, on the grounds that some less advantaged students should be given a chance.

add: And such an objection would not turn on the universalizability of my original maxim.

Robert Paul,
waiting for a bailout