[lit-ideas] Re: The meaning of life

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 16:47:51 -0330

Thanks to Omar for a very interesting post.

Just a remark on the universalizability of "survival of the fittest" for now. I
don't know whether Cicero would agree to the following argument, but Kant did
speak fondly of him at the private drinking soirees to which, believe it or
not, he was often invited. Whether he sipped single malt while offering his
witticisms and humorous stories, I do not know.

Formulated as a maxim:

In cases of limited resources and competition for these resources, only the
fittest shall survive.

It looks like this is a non-universalizable maxim because it displays
self-contradiction, Kant's first feature of a maxim unfit to model the form of
law. In other words, if everybody did it, nobody could do it. If everybody were
"the fittest," there would be no possibility for the application of the scalar
quality of fitness. Somebody's got to be "fitter than but not as fit as," as
others have to be "really not quite fit at all," etc.. The maxim thus "cancels
itself out," "negates itself," as the Master was wont to say.

As self-contradictory, the maxim is unfit for universal legislation, an
essential requirement for any Enlightenment ideal.

An objection often made at this point, is that the feature of
self-contradiction
is not a particularly moral one. (And, as Donal points out, it's not a strictly
logical one either - although there is a logical contradiction wafting around
here: the agent wills both that there be entities characterizable by the term
"fittest," and the agent simulutaneously denies the possibility for that in
negating the condition of qualitative increment (scalarity?) in the
universalized form of his maxim.) The reply, to return to the objection above,
is that that's precisely what Kant had intended: morality is grounded in
rationality. Same criticism is lodged
against such contemporary Kantian moral philosophers as Scanlon and Habermas.

Walter O
MUN