[lit-ideas] Re: The meaning of life

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 03:37:21 -0500

Eric Dean: But since I think that the human experience of human emotions (and of a lot else besides, I use this as a hopefully compelling example) is real and does not (always) appear to obey the laws of logic, I also think that transcendental analysis is resting on an unstated presumption about the nature of the human experience of human emotion. That presumption, to preserve the laws of logic for use in transcendental analysis, must resolve the apparent contradictory nature of human experience.

Mr. Dean has presented my own objection more clearly than I have. In short, since we are all inside the big bang (or inside the idea of the totality of all ideas) existence is Janus-faced: there is a fact, we see the fact, we experience the fact, and we are the fact. To privilege the so-called objective or rational is to arbitrarily create limits on reality, and by extension, create limits on philosophical thought.