[lit-ideas] Re: The meaning of life

  • From: Eric Dean <ecdean99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 23:09:42 +0000

Mike -- I am flattered and honored.

I raise my glass with its 2nd-rate blended scotch over ice -- it should be
Bourbon and branch water for an appropriately Tennessean salute, but ah well.

Regards,
Eric Dean
Washington DC

From: atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: The meaning of life
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 16:53:38 -0600

ED:
>>Alternatively, one might simply say that not
everything which is real must obey the laws of logic (to wit: human experience
of human emotion does not).

Logicians panic at the thought of such a
conclusion because [a & not-a] entails anything else, which is to say logic
won't do the hoped-for work.  I think this is an over-reaction.  The
potential reality of self-contradictory things merely means one has to be
explicit about the scope of objects to which one expects one's logical theory
apply.  The fact that some real objects have self-contradictory properties
needn't mean that all real objects have self-contradictory properties.

In
any case, the assertion that all real objects must obey the laws of logic is a
substantive assertion, not merely an obvious formality; reasonable people, I
submit, may disagree with it.

This is among the many reasons I think the
notion of 'transcendental' is so dubious.  The idea that conditions of
possibility can be asserted for all of reality is a generalization of the idea
that all real objects must obey the laws of logic. <<  And
etc.

Amen.  This is exactly what I would have
written had I been intelligent enough to write it.

Mike Geary
Memphis