[lit-ideas] The life of Pi

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 12:12:14 -0400

I just finished Yann Martel's "The Life of Pi".

It was a decent enough yarn. It was well-written, had a good story,
exciting at spots and a little bit philosophical. But... "poignant?" "will
make you believe in God"? Pshawww! Where do they get these people (and how
much do they pay them?) who write the blurbs. Oh... and talking to other
people who read the book too, it is a whole different book when you don't
know the 'shocking events' that happen 100 pages into the book; events,
which were, on my copy laid out very nicely on the back of the book in a
plot synopsis. I really don't have much hope for contemporary fiction or,
more importantly, how it's presented in these silly packages.

I remember a scene in the first "Naked Gun" movie when Frank Drebbin
[leslie neilsen] is romancing the Priscilla Presley character. They do a
photo montage with "I'm into something good" I think playing in the
background. At one point, they come bursting out of a matinee movie
laughing and giggling and the camera pans up to the marquee to show
"Platoon" is playing. It's this kind of incongruity that is horning its way
into contemporary criticism of works of art. The cover of my copy of
Margaret Atwood's "The Robber Bride" says "Hilarious, I laughed all the way
through" in one blurb. I read this formidable work [in page length only]
and didn't so much as snicker in my inner self. I guess I just didn't get it.

Has anyone else read "the Life of Pi"? If so, did it make you believe in God?

paul

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada