[lit-ideas] Re: The individual nature of "startle"

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 18:48:24 -0600

Perhaps, indeed.  But then again, perhaps not.  If poetry is a discussion
of the ineffable using ineluctable words.  Then, yes, it certainly helps to
be a bit insane. But if poetry is believed to be definable, through such
things as rhyme, meter, subject matter, vocabulary, etc., then insanity is
a handicap. A more mathematical approach to poetry would seem to be called
for.  I once thought that about the only things that can't be considered
poetry are grocery lists, cook books and instruction manuals.  But even
those in the hands of a fascinated soul can waken the world to rapture. A
reenactment of the rapture when for the first time following
directions,what was supposed to happen happened!!! and life blossomed into
YES -- O frabjous day!  Calloo, callay.
Defining "sanity" is the crux of the problem.  Best to just accept poetry
as another border activity.